To Make A Miniature Oval Basket You Will Need:
- Fine Fabric or Paper Wrapped Wire Use a fine wire for this project, #30 or #28. I left my wire green so you could see it easily, but you may want to paint it to coordinate with the other materials you use for weaving the basket.
- Raffia and Ribbon for weaving your basket. I used a chocolate colored raffia, a treated pale green raffia and some 4mm silk ribbon. Raffia will need to be split into narrower sections for weaving. I split a standard width into halves or thirds. You can choose to weave it flat, or twist it into a narrow thread for weaving. Natural untreated raffia is fine for this project, but it may be very dry. Use fresh raffia or colored raffia which stays more pliable if possible.
- Instant Glue to set the wires in place and hold the handle secure.
- PVA (white) glue To stop paper or thread from unravelling on the wires and to finish off the raffia or ribbon as you weave.
- Wire Cutters
- Fine Pointed Tweezers to push the wire down in behind other wires for the finished edge.
- Sharp Scissors
- Third Hand Clamp or clothespeg to hold the wire while you braid the handle .
Set Up The Basket Base
To make a one inch oval basket in 1:12 scale, cut five pieces of wire 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Cut ten pieces of wire 2 1/4 inches long.
Lay the long pieces of wire in a group on your work surface. Divide the shorter wires into two groups of three and one group of four. Mark the center of your long group of wire and lay a group of three shorter wires 3/8 inch away from the center on both sides as shown in the photo above. The group of three wires will mark the inner edges of your woven basket base. Arrange the four small wires evenly across the distance between the groups of three wires. Use Instant Glue to hold them in place.
The next step in this tutorial shows you how to start weaving the base of an oval basket.