These printable miniature hexagonal hat boxes are sized to fit large brimmed hats in dolls house scales, or smaller more upright hats, or other miniatures. The boxes are available in the same color schemes as the printable shop bags, and printable shop boxes.
To Assemble the Printable Hexagonal Boxes:
All of the designs are available as printable pdf (acrobat reader files) which can be downloaded on the pages which follow linked to the various color schemes. The 1:24 scale boxes are available with all three color schemes for the large brimmed hat boxes on one page. The 1:12 scale boxes are available by color scheme as either large brimmed boxes or regular hat boxes.
Print the designs from the linked pdf files (see each color page following for the links) on printer paper, light card or matte or gloss photo paper. After printing, coat the designs with acrylic varnish or sealant if you wish. When the varnish is dry, cut the designs out along the outside lines and fold them to shape using a straight edge or bone folder.
- Fold or score the boxes along the straight edges between plain colors and lined sections. The plain colors are the box lining. Fold or score across the base of the box by running a fold that continues the outer line of each box side, (making a hexagon for the box base.) Score the boxes so the tabs will fold in.
- Glue the non tabbed sides to the tabs keeping the plain sections of the box upright until the glued tabs have dried. Fold (and glue if you wish) the plain sides to the inside of the box to make a lining.
Make the box lids
- Fold the side tabs down at right angles to the box top. Fit the box lid over the box.
- Cut an edging strip and fit it around the box top over the tabs, bending it crisply at the corners.
- Trim the band and glue it to the tabs while the lid is on the box, making sure the lid is not too tight. Remove the box lid until it is dry.