The Bottom Line
Note: I'm leaving this review up as I'm not sure if Solway miniatures are no longer trading, or just no longer trading via the web. The links currently are not working.
Well detailed, accurately sized doll house food molds and food kits in 1:12 and 1:24 scales for a range of dollhouse desserts are available from Solway Miniatures. The reusable molds are made from a two part silicone mold putty and can be used for polymer clay, air dry clay, scenic water resins, or a range of other materials. The molds can be baked in the oven at standard polymer clay temperatures. The molds have been well thought out for use in making a wide range of dolls house food. The detail is clean and crisp, and the molds are well sized to allow for easy use with a wide range of materials.
- Molds are accurate for 1:12 or 1:24 scale miniatures
- Molds can be combined, to create special effects (meringue molds fit the tart base for example)
- Molds are designed to easily cast and remove either individual items or small sets
- A few molds are not designed to sit opening up and must be supported for liquids (i.e. the rabbit)
- Accurate dolls house scale, easy to fill molds for polymer clay, air dry clay, or scenic water and other resins.
- Available in both 1:12 and some 1:24 scale sizes
- Most have a flat base to allow filling with liquids from the top. Some must be supported on the sides to hold them with the opening up for filling with liquids
- Company also offer kits which include all materials needed to make various molded dollhouse foods.
Guide Review - Accurately Scaled Silicon Molds for Dolls House Foods From Solway Miniatures
While you can make your own two part silicon molds for making miniatures and dolls house foods, many people prefer to buy these items ready made. With the interest in miniature jewellery and Re-Ment Puchi Petite collectibles, a wide range of silicone molds for making polymer clay miniatures are available online from polymer clay dealers. The molds for most of these items are too large for 1:12 and 1:24 scale scenes.
Solway Miniatures, based in Scotland, produce a well made range of basic mold shapes suitable for all kinds of jellies and baked goods accurately sized in 1:12 and 1:24 scale. In addition to the silicone molds they also sell the appropriate copper pans, so your scene can include a wobbly jelly alongside a copper mold. The company exhibit and sell at shows in the US and the UK, and have an online site and an Etsy "Store" at http://www.etsy.com/shop/SolwayMiniatures where you can order their molds as well as small vials of colored or white scenic water used to make realistic jellies, and air drying 'cream' used to decorate polymer clay.
The molds have been well thought out, and the decorative iced 'tops' for the small cake or tart bases fit beautifully allowing you to create a range of different tops and colors to fit the bases from one cast. Many of the moulds have more than one use. The small bases for the muffins can also be used for filled tarts, or made into ramekins to hold small pies or other contents. Several of the cake molds can also be used for decorative jellies.