The Bottom Line
Pebeo Vitrea 160 paints and markers are a good way to make semi permanent glass colors which can be cleaned in a dishwasher, on items which can be baked. You can add a glass coating to metal miniatures to mimic ceramic glazes, create a water effect on aluminium foil, or make a skating pond for a Christmas Village display. The paints brush on easily with a soft brush, or you can use a stiff brush to create texture. If you want fine detail, they are also available in marker form.
In addition to the 20 gloss colors, and ten frosted colors, there are also crackling mediums, a gloss medium and an iridescent medium.
- Beautiful range of clear and frosted colors
- Available in jars, tubes or as markers
- Colors can be mixed, a crackle medium is available
- Once baked are dishwasher safe
- Can be washed off and reapplied unless they have been baked.
- To make permanent, must be oven baked at 325 F for 40 minutes
- Need to dry 24 hours before baking
- Excellent range of clear, transparent colors which can be mixed.
- Crackle, gloss, frosted and irridescent mediums are available and combine with colors for various effects.
- Colors are diswasher safe when baked and appear to be stains in the glass rather than baked on.
- Can be applied to any surface which will withstand 325 degree temperatures for 40 minutes of baking time.
- Good way to glaze metal beads or create headlight effects on metal car parts.
Guide Review - Review of Pebeo Vitrea 160 Glass Paints
There are several brands of glass glaze or stain available from various companies. Pebeo Vitrea 160 is the only one which becomes a dishwasher safe coating after baking. Most other glass paints will come off when washed. This makes Pebeo Vitrea a good paint for surfaces which may collect dust and need cleaning - water effects in miniature villages, terrains for gaming, stained glass windows in dolls houses, and water base displays for model boats.
The glazes mix easily to create additional colors, and they can be applied in layers to create many special effects. To create water on glass, you can paint one layer one one side of a sheet of glass and allow it to dry, then repeat the effect on the other side of the glass to give your water effect added depth. An icy frosted coated can be thinly applied over dried transparent colors to create the effect of ice, or wave crests.
No special pre treatment of the glass or metal is required. Clean it with soapy water or alcohol. Brushes can be cleaned with soapy water.
If your design features a lot of outlines, 18 colors, including frosted colors, are available in felt tip form. There are also ten thicker colors available in tubes to make relief effects.