These realistic fuzzy miniature pussy willow branches are shown here in 1:12 dolls house scale, but they can be made to a range of sizes from 1:24 scale on up. I've shown how to make them as individual branches, but you can use the same technique to make bushes for a miniature garden if you wish.
These are an easy project to make once you get used to the technique. You do need patience, sharp scissors, fine pointed tweezers, and good magnification!
Materials Needed to Make Miniature Scale Pussy Willow Branches
- Paper Wrapped Wire - For my 1:12 scale branches I used #26 gauge paper wrapped wire.
- PVA (White) Glue - You need very thin glue for the pussy willow buds, and thicker glue to make the bud bases. You can use thin glue that has thickened as it dries to make the buds.
- Flocking - For smaller scales use the finest flock you can find. For 1:12 scale I used both grey and white "Fun Flock" from Stampendous.
- Acrylic Paints - You need a reddish brown for the branches, and a gloss to finish them with.
- Brown Sewing Thread
- Sharp Scissors
- Fine Pointed Bent Nose Tweezers You need bent nose tweezers (L shaped) to manipulate the buds onto the branches without squashing the buds.
- Dressmakers Pin - to apply the glue to the branches and buds.
- Scrap of Dry Floral Foam or Styrofoam - to hold your work as it dries.