Candy corn has been around since the 1880's and is a staple of Halloween in much of the United States and many parts of Canada. You can use polymer clay to make a dolls house miniature version of the tiny kernels which work well as decorations on dollhouse cakes or miniature cupcakes. This project requires patience, as the candy corn kernels are very tiny when made in scale.
Materials Needed to Make Miniature Candy Corn From Polymer Clay
- Yellow Polymer Clay - I used Premo! Cadmium Yellow, but any bright yellow will work.
- Red or Orange Polymer Clay - I used Premo! Cadmium Red and blended my own orange clay.
- Translucent or Porcelain Polymer Clay - This makes your clay easier to roll thin and adds a candy like translucence to the finished kernels.
- White Polymer Clay
- Clear Acrylic Block or flat metal polymer clay blade.
- Polymer Clay Blade or Sharp Knife
- Baking Tile - or foil container to bake your clay.
- Scale Ruler - useful for a size check.
If you are new to working with polymer clay, please read The Basics of Polymer Clay before you begin this project.
Note: - Polymer clay should be 'cured' or baked in a well ventilated area. Never use kitchen implements with polymer clay unless they are dedicated for this purpose. Polymer clay should be kept well away from tools or surfaces used for food.