Polymer clay is a useful material for making miniature dolls house scale buttons. The buttons can be used for scale miniature upholstery or doll clothes. If you have very fine needles, you can add sewing holes, depending on the size of the button design. In other cases, you can glue the button in place on the fabric, or use it as part of the clothing design.
The methods shown here use polymer clay with small paper punches, or clay designs cut from tiny polyclay canes.
To Make Poly Clay Buttons You Will Need:
- Polymer Clay In colors that match your project. As these items are so small, it is a good idea to make lots in several colors when you are working on particular batch. Pearl colored clay, or translucent white clay can be combined with colored centers or outlines to make lots of interesting basic buttons.
- Clay Roller and some card to roll out even thicknesses of clay.
- Paper Punch with a small scale design (here I used a 1/8 inch heart punch).
- Corn Starch to prevent your clay from sticking to the punch.
- Parchment Paper or a baking tile to bake your buttons on.
- One sided razor blade or a fine clay blade to cut small buttons off formed clay canes.
- Fine Sharp Needle to make button holes if you wish.
- Oven or Toaster Oven to bake and cure your polymer clay