These free plans for a Dollhouse or Baby House Case made from a single five foot square sheet of Baltic Birch Plywood can be made with shelves to hold roomboxes for separate rooms, or divided into sections for a standard dollhouse. If interests change it can be used to hold books or other treasures. Fitted with front opening doors cut from the same sheet of plywood, that have dolls house windows and a door, the baby house has the appearance of a dolls house, but has adjustable shelves to allow it to be adapted to hold books or other items as need change.
Instructions for adding quoin trim and a cornice to finish the house off in a traditional style are also available. There are also instructions for building custom doors and windows.
If you prefer, you can build the case and add fixed shelves and partitions to make a dedicated doll house.
Roomboxes are easy to make and can be made to custom sizes for school projects or displays. This project uses book board, or Davey board, a dense paper fiber board used for book binding, oror illustration board. You can also build roomboxes from baltic birch plywood (see list item following). If you make several boxes the same height, in a depth that will fit on a bookcase, you can build a miniature display room by room.
Make A Simple Roombox from Inexpensive Book Board If the bookboard is cut by an adult, this is a fairly simple roombox or display box for a child to assemble. It can be built with or without a ceiling.
This simple roombox is made from sturdy, lightweight Baltic Birch Plywood. It can be custom sized to suit any scale of doll, including playscale fashion dolls. The boxes can be wired for lighting and given doors and windows. If you wish, the roombox can be given a custom frame, or you can size the box to fit a ready made picture frame from an art supplier, as was done here. Like the bookboard roomboxes if you make several boxes the same height, in a depth that will fit on a bookcase, you can build a miniature display room by room. A series of roomboxes can also be glued together to make a simple but sturdy dollhouse for a child. (The walls will be much thicker than those in a standard dolls house.)
Checklist For Finishing a Dolls' House
Free Online Plans for Doll Houses
- Free Dollhouse Castle Plans and instructions from Wayne of the Woods
- Better Homes and Gardens, Dollhouse From a Book case
- Fine scroll saw has some vintage Hobbies design sheets for dollhouse building patterns which are free to download. You will need to set a scale for these patterns.
- Bunnings Warehouse in Australia has a free How to make a Dollhouse plan in pdf form.
- Mother Earth News has free plans (see the gallery of photos) and instructions for building a 1:12 scale farmhouse.
Howard Fink has assembled a list of dollhouse plans from issues of Popular Mechanics and Popular Science Magazines from the 1920's to 1960's. The links take you to the appropriate pages on Google Books
Open Design Doll House Plans
- Open dollhouse design plans suitable for younger children are available from Woodstore
Play scale 1:6 (Fashion Doll) Scale Doll Houses
- Free Online Plans and Instructions for a Barbie (Fashion Doll Scale) House From Rodney Johnson
- Erin at Sutton Grace Blogspot has free plans for a modern dollhouse in 1:6 scale, made from plywood
- Frank Martin sells Barbie Scale Dollhouse kits, plans and furniture.
- Forest Street Designs have plans for a portable folding house for Barbie complete with furniture.
- U bild have 11½ inch dollhouse plans and other dollhouse scale plans.
- Joe's Plans have Play scale dollhouse plans
- Houseworks sell 1:6 (playscale) building components available through many hobby shops.
Downloadable 1:12 Scale Dolls House Plans
- Dollhouse Designs have plans in 1:12 scale for several traditional dollhouses which can be downloaded.
Printed 1:12 Scale Doll House Plans
- J.E. Cavender Plans are available from Dollhouse Miniatures.
- The Hobbies Company in England sell a range of traditional dollhouse and shop plans in 1:12 scale.
- Dijon sell traditional English dollhouse plans whichh are also distributed in North America by several companies.
- The Woodcrafter produce dollhouse plans in 1:12 scale.
- Forest Street Designs have plans for a lovely Bavarian cottage and furniture in 1:12 scale.