The designs for miniature garden tools shown in the photo above are available as a printable Pdf (acrobat reader) file for Dollhouse Shovels to use as printables or patterns for making miniature metal shovels, spades, forks and trowels in dolls house scales of 1:6, 1:12, 1:24, and 1:48. All scales are on the same printable pattern sheet.
The pages which follow outline how the various shovels and forks were shaped and finished, using scrap recycled metal from tins (aluminium or other metals) and skewers or fine dowels or toothpicks for handles.
The techniques for making these dollhouse tools are fairly simple. To make them you will need the following supplies:
- Printable Pattern available as a pdf file - do not try to print from the photo above, the scale will not be correct.
- Metal or Paper You can use heavy aluminum foil plates, pop cans, or pieces of food tins or sheet metal to make the various dolls house shovels. You can also use lightweight card stock and paint it silver if you prefer.
- Skewers or round toothpicks for some scales to use as handles for the various tools.
- Acrylic gloss paint in your choice of colors to resemble painted enamel used on garden tools
- Tweezers (for paper) or round nose pliers (for metal)
- Sharp Scissors (for paper), Kitchen Shears or Tin Snips (for metal)
- Embossing tool
- Needle Files for metal only
- Fine Sandpaper
- Craft Knife
- Glue Epoxy, Thick PVA or Modelling Glue to glue metal or paper to wooden handles. Choose a glue suitable for either metal or paper, depending on how you are making your garden tools.
Safety Note If you are making your spades and shovels from metal, wear suitable hand protection and eye protection when working with metal. Clamp your metal to a work surface before filing or sanding it to make sure you do not cut yourself.